IT professionals spend an inordinate amount of time and money installing and maintaining system management applications. Current solutions require so much time and effort that even the largest organisations monitor only a fraction of their total IT investments. In turn, this forces the IT staff to tactically respond only to the most pressing problems. This situation results in customers frustrated by poor performance of business applications and an overwhelmed IT staff.
Custodian*24 is a web-based, 24 by 7 infrastructure monitoring service that can help improve the quality of your IT service, while driving down operational costs. Custodian*24 monitors the performance and availability of servers, applications, storage and network devices. Monitoring is accomplished remotely, and the elements being monitored usually do not require new software to be installed on them. Monitoring both the system infrastructure and the transactions enables IT staff to quickly determine how infrastructure problems affect the end-user experience.
Custodian*24 provides the ability to:
• Monitor a variety of applications, systems and storage and network devices.
• Map the performance of customer transactions to back-end infrastructure.
• Begin monitoring new systems in minutes.
• Notify the appropriate contacts with customised alerts wherever they are.
• Access performance and service level metrics.
• Drive down operating costs by remotely monitoring storage and network devices, systems and application infrastructure.
• Improve service levels by automatically reporting service issues and notifying the appropriate resource to take action.
• Determine whether backend infrastructure and Web sites meet SLAs by measuring their performance and availability against defined objectives.
• Offer centralized access to reports via a secure web portal.
• Quick, easy and inexpensive to set up with no new skills required by staff.
How it Works
Custodian*24 uses agent based technology that securely connects to and collects information from your chosen elements. Industry standard protocols such as PerfMon, SNMP, HTTP, rstatd and Secure Shell (SSH) are used. This enables data collection to be done remotely, without having to install software on the elements being monitored. Data is securely relayed to the web based Custodian*24 Secure Monitoring Portal. Performance and service level data are displayed in a dashboard format for easy interpretation.
Alerts sent through Custodian*24 are completely customisable, enabling clients to specify who each warning is sent to within their organisation. Whenever preset thresholds are exceeded, real-time alerts are sent to the appropriate contact via email, pager or SNMP trap. You can also specify different notification and escalation policies, determining who receives alerts and what types of alerts are sent. Using Custodian*24, clients can measure the performance and availability for both Web transactions and infrastructure elements against service level objectives. You can specify particular goals and generate service level graphs to show how well these goals are being met.
The Web Portal is an important part of Custodian*24. It provides a customisable view of client systems giving them access to reports and real time system information. New reports can be added to the portal on request, making it an extremely powerful resource.